Join Albert as he explores amazing alligator facts for toddlers, preschoolers and kindergartners. Click on the images to hear silly sounds and then read about fun alligator facts like what do alligators look like?, what sound do alligators make?, how big are alligators?, what do alligators eat?, where do alligators live?, and more fun facts about alligators!
What do alligators look like?
Alligators are big reptiles. Reptiles are cold-blooded animals with dry, scaly skin that lay soft-shelled eggs on land. Snakes, lizards, turtles and crocodiles are also reptiles. Alligators have sharp teeth, strong bites and spend a lot of time in the water.
What sound do alligators make?
Click the the image to hear the sound!
Alligators make hissing and bellowing sounds.
How big are alligators?
Alligators can grow to 13 feet (4 meters) long. That’s as long as a small car!
What do alligators eat?
Alligators are carnivores, or meat eaters. They eat birds, reptiles, small mammals, fish and deer. Pretty much anything that gets too close, so watch out!
Where do alligators live?
Most alligators live in freshwater. That’s water without salt. Like the water in ponds, rivers, lakes, and swamps.
More fun facts about alligators for kids
- There are only 2 types of alligators, American and Chinese.
- Along with crocodiles and great white sharks, alligators have the strongest bite in the world!
- A person can actually hold an alligator’s mouth shut, because its muscles for opening its mouth are not very strong.
- You can tell the difference between a crocodile and an alligator by looking at its teeth. When their mouths are closed, you can only see the top teeth sticking out of an alligator, while you can see both top and bottom teeth sticking out of a crocodile.
- Another difference between alligators and crocodiles is that alligators tend to have more round, U-shaped snouts or noses, while a crocodile’s are more pointy.
Alphabetical list of animals that start with A
A full alphabetical list of popular animals that start with the letter A for toddlers and preschool kids.
- African Wild Dog
- Arctic Fox
- Arctic Hare
Which one should be the next Alphabetimal? Let us know on our facebook page.