Get your paws on these fun lion facts! From their big teeth to their fierce roars, these awesome facts will make you the king of the jungle! Ready to join Albert as he explores amazing lion facts for toddlers, preschoolers and kindergartners? Click on the images to hear silly sounds and then read about fun lion facts like what do lions look like?, what sound do lions make?, how big are lions?, what do lions eat?, where do lions live?, and more fun facts about lions for kids!
What do lions look like?
Lions are cats. They are quite a bit bigger than your pet cat though! Lions are the second largest cat in the world (only tigers are bigger). Can you see any similarities between lions and cats?
They walk on 4 legs and they have long tails. Male lions usually have thick fur around their necks called a manes, but females don’t.
Lions have sharp teeth, whiskers and claws.
Lions are mammals, warm-blooded animals that have fur or hair and feed their babies milk.
They are brown-beige in color which helps them to blend in with their surroundings. This called being camouflaged.
What sound do lions make?
Click the the image to hear the sound!
Lions growl, bark and roar. Can you roar like a lion?
The baby lions, called cubs, make squeaking noises.
Lions even meow and purr like house cats!
How big are lions?
The biggest lions can grow up to 9 to 10 feet (3 meters) long from head to tail! That’s longer than a large sofa!
What do lions eat?
Lions are carnivores. This means that they eat meat. They often hunt with their family, which is called a pride.
They will eat deer, zebras, hogs, wildebeest, buffaloes, goats and other animals they can catch together..
If they are really hungry they will even eat smaller animals like mice and birds.
Where do lions live?
Almost all wild lions live in Africa, except for a very small group that still lives in India. They live on the hot savannah, which is open grassland. They can often be found sheltering from the hot sun in the shade of trees and bushes.
More fun facts about lions for kids
- A lion’s roar can be heard 5 miles (8 kilometers) away!
- Lions car run as fast as your car! They can sprint at 50 miles per hour (80 kilometers per hour).
- Lions mark their territory with their pee. This tells other lions to stay away!
- A male’s mane is used to attract females but it is also used a bit like a scarf, protecting the neck during a fight with another lion
- Lions usually roar at night.
- Lions live in groups called prides.
- Female lions do most of the hunting, while male lions protect the pride.
- Lion babies are called cubs and they are often reared together with the other cubs in the pride, a bit like a nursery.
- There are 2 types of lions, African and Asian.
- African lions live in different countries in Central and West Africa, while Asian lions are only found in India.
- Asian lions tend to be slightly smaller, have smaller manes, shaggier fur, furrier elbows, and longer tassels on the end of their tails, than African lions.
Alphabetical list of animals that start with L
A full alphabetical list of popular animal names that begin with the letter L for toddlers and preschool kids.
- Leafcutter Ant
- Leatherback Sea Turtle
- Leopard Seal
Which one should be the next Alphabetimal? Let us know on our facebook page.