Join Albert as he explores amazing dog facts for toddlers, preschoolers and kindergartners. Click on the images to hear silly sounds and then read about fun dog facts like what do dogs look like?, what sound do dogs make?, how big are dogs?, what do dogs eat?, where do dogs live?, and more fun facts about dogs!
What do dogs look like?
Dogs are mammals like us. That means that they are warm-blooded, have fur (or hair) and feed their babies milk.
Dogs descended from wolves. They walk on 4 legs, are furry and have a great sense of smell.
What sound do dogs make?
Click the the image to hear the sound!
Dogs bark, yelp and howl. Can you howl?
How big are dogs?
There is a huge range of sizes for dogs.
Some are as small as a rabbit while some are almost as big as a pony!
The smallest dogs stand at only 6 inches or 15 centimeters tall but the largest can grow up to 90 centimeters or 35 inches tall.
What do dogs eat?
Dogs are omnivores. That means that they eat both meat and plants.
Wild dogs such as wolves, coyotes and African hunting dogs hunt smaller animals for their food.
They also feed on berries and fruits.
Where do dogs live?
Dogs are found all over the world. They are kept as pets by many people and are often used to help with farming, security, transport and even in the army.
Dogs live on land, anywhere where there are humans (and also where there are no humans!).
More fun facts about dogs for kids
- Dogs are called “man’s best friend ” because they are so loyal to their owners and help people in so many different ways.
- Dogs came from wolves and a wolf’s howl can be heard over 10 miles (16 kilometers) away!
- There are some types of hairless dog. They look like they forgot to get dressed!
- Dogs can communicate by sniffing each other’s butt! Information such as diet, gender and how they are feeling can be found out from one sniff.
- Most dogs’ noses are black to protect them from sunburn. They can smell up to 12 miles away (20 kilometers).